The 24 hr. Transcontinental Popperian ZOOM Meet ‘n Greet of January 9-10, 2021 began smoothly at 9 am GMT and ended, after twenty-four full hours, with a lively discussion on critical rationalism and how it could be used to address issues related to social media.
Thank you all for participating in this Meet ‘n Greet. You were the ones who made this event a success and it would not have been possible without you. Critical rationalism is all about people coming together and exchanging ideas in the spirit of ‘I may be wrong, you may be right’.
A very special thanks to the following people who were all part of the initiating team: Joe Agassi, Luc Castelein, Leo Champion, Rafe Champion, Doug Hall, Elyse Hargreaves, Sadia Naeem, and Phil Wood.
Of course, we were super-psyched that David Deutsch agreed to participate in this Meet ‘n Greet. Bart Vanderhaegen helped me get me in touch with David. Bruce Nielson & Sadia Naeem hosted the Meet ‘n Greet session with him. And Lulie Tanett helped with publicizing it. Many thanks to them.
Please reference the video material recorded during the Jan 9-10 Popperian Meet ‘n Greet as follows when published and/or cited:
“Recorded during the 24 hr. transcontinental Popperian ZOOM Meet ‘n Greet of January 9th-10th, 2021 organized by OurKarlPopper.net.“
Elyse Hargreaves is the contact person to send your links if you have already published your video material or if you would like her to publish your recorded material directly on the OurKarlPopper YouTube Channel.
If you would like to stay in touch regarding the next Popperian Meet ‘n Greet or other related initiatives and events, send your contact info to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Margaretha Hendrickx, Trumansburg, NY, USA.
- Everyone is welcome. This is a free event.
- The schedule is on-line: click here.
- THE ROOM CAPACITY HAS BEEN INCREASED TO 500.
- Make sure to download the latest version of ZOOM: version 5.4.7.
- Check out the dropdown menu associated with the tab for this event (see above). Lots of useful information will be posted there in the next couple of hours.
- During the Meet ‘n Greet, it is not expected that you actively participate. If you wish, you can join, simply to listen in.
- If that works better for you, there is an option to call in. The phone numbers are listed on the Facebook event page. Or send email to email@example.com to get the list,
- The list of the breakout rooms.
- The super-short version of what to expect
You are cordially invited to the first 2021 global Meet ‘n Greet celebrating the philosophy of Karl Popper. The objective of this virtual Meet ‘n Greet is to to honor, celebrate and toast the various people who have contributed to and helped spread the word about Popper’s philosophy during the last 30-plus years. A secondary objective is to provide yet another informal networking opportunity — one can never have too many — for people interested in further expanding and popularizing the philosophy of Karl Popper across the globe.
The Meet ‘n Greet ZOOM shall start at 9:00 AM GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) on Saturday, January 9th 2021 and continue for 24 hrs. and end the next day at 9:00 AM GMT. Consult the time zone map for the starting time in your particular region. Click here for the schedule.
This ZOOM session is organized as an informal event to say a hello to new and old friends & colleagues. There is no need to prepare anything. The only thing that you need to do is click on the ZOOM link and be ready to cheer and toast.
People can drop by any time at their convenience. The room capacity has been increased to 500, nevertheless but RSVP’ing is strongly encouraged to help the organizing team plan better. For those with a Facebook account, there is an event page where one can RSVP.
The Meet ‘n Greet is intended to mimic the settings of a face-to-face reception to celebrate the contributions of specific Popperians. It will be facilitated by different hosts located in the key time zones across the globe. We shall toast specific Popperians on the hour. Guests and participants shall have an opportunity to introduce themselves on the half hour. The schedule is posted here. And check the drop-down menu above for additional information posted at the last minute.
We expect several people who met Karl Popper in person or worked with him to participate or drop by for a brief period. As of January 4, Joe Agassi, Luc Castelein, Matt Dioguardi, Rafe Champion, Danny Frederick, Paul Levinson, Mark Notturno, David Deutsch, Jeremy Shearmur & Phil Wood have RSVP’d that they will attend. Check the schedule for more details. It will be updated as we get new RSVPs.
- Danny Frederick & his two recent books + a third just published.
- Research assistants of Karl Popper
- Ph.D. students of Karl Popper
- Translators of Karl Popper’s work
- Critical Cafe web administrators & hosts
- Critical rationalism administrators, moderators & bloggers
- Karl Popper Facebook page administrators
- Karl Popper Facebook groups administrators & moderators
- Popperian scholars around the globe who expanded Popper’s work significantly.
- Popperian bloggers
Your are strongly encouraged to RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org as it allows us to plan better for the meeting. Make sure to include the approximate time you intend to drop by. We have increased the capacity of the ZOOM meeting to 500.
Additional details & FAQ:
Make sure to check the dropdown menu below the tab for this webpage (last tab to the right on top menu bar) for the latest information on what to expect once you have joined this Greet ‘n Meet meeting.
- I am considering volunteering as a host or facilitator in my time zone. What do I need to do? Send an email to email@example.com. As of December 13, 2020, we are still looking for facilitators for the key time zones.
- I would like to help with the planning of this Meet ‘n Greet. What is involved? We will definitely need two co-facilitators for each time Zone. And we will need two people on stand-by to help out with technical questions. There also will be 1 or 2 practice runs to test out the format. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to learn more.
- Who is sponsoring this event? This event doesn’t really have a sponsor. It was a spontaneous idea that Rafe & I had one day. We decided to use this website as a vehicle for communicating all the details about this Meet n Greet.
- Why are you using ZOOM? I do not like that software. Yes, we are aware that we could have used Skype, Google Meeting and even Facebook. But ZOOM happened to be the software with which we were most familiar. Next time we could use a different software. Give us your input! Send us an email.
- January 9th 2021 does not work for me. Why did you not pick a different date? Why did you not consult the Popper community before settling on this particular date? This is an experiment! We had to start somewhere! So we went ahead and picked a date after consulting with some people. If there is enough interest, future Meet ‘n Greets will be organized. Perhaps, you can take the lead in organizing the next Meet n Greet! Join the planning team! Give us your input! Send us email.
- Why did you pick 9 AM GMT as a starting point? I live in Chicago in the United States. 9 AM GMT is 3 AM in my time zone, in the middle of the night. I wanted to be there when the Meet n Greet started. Could you not have decided on a different beginning time? Sorry! That was a difficult decision. No matter which beginning time that we picked, it would be inconvenient for some people. Next time, we could pick a completely different starting time. Join the planning team. Give us your input.
Bookmark this page & check regularly for the latest updates.
For all inquiries, send email to email@example.com.
Margaretha Hendrickx, Trumansburg, NY, USA