For the general schedule, CLICK HERE. To convert the schedule to your time zone, click here.
ZOOM link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88571496957?pwd=aEFNK1ZPVGI1a0liL3JiS1prbG1lQT09.
You are cordially invited to join and participate in the second 24 hr. Transcontinental Meet-‘n-Greet, celebrating the philosophy of Karl Popper. The event will take place during the second weekend of January 2022, starting on Saturday, January 8th at 9am GMT (UK, London time zone); Zoom room opens at 8:30am. It is a free event, and everyone is welcome. The entire event will be recorded. If you would like to opt-out, turn off your camera and change your ZOOM name.
The primary objective of this 24-hr. annual Meet ‘n Greet is to keep the Popperian flame burning by celebrating the life and work of all philosophers, scientists, humanists, artists, journalists, translators, etc. who knew Karl Popper personally and were touched by him, his work, and/or his philosophy.
Umbrella theme for 2022:
- Keeping the Popperian flame burning by collecting stories from all the generations of Popperians.
2022 Program highlights:
- The latest version of the program is posted here. Check it regularly for the latest update.
- Meet ‘n Greet at 7pm GMT with Brian Boyd, Karl Popper’s biographer, hosted by Rafe Champion. Click here for Brian Boyd’s bio.
- A celebration the life and work of William Bartley III (1934-1990), hosted by Rafe Champion & Jeremy Shearmur. Click here for more details.
- A celebration the life and work of all other Popperians who have passed on. More details to follow soon.
- Collecting stories to keep the Popperian flame burning. More details to follow soon.
- A celebration of the life and work of Danny Frederick (1955-2021). Click here for more details.
- An informal conversation about Karl Popper, “The Viennese Socrates” – hosted by Luc Castelein & Philip Benesch, with a focus on Karl Popper’s Open Society.
- A brainstorming session on how to keep the Popperian flame burning in the coming year, closing session hosted by Elyse Hargreaves.
- This ZOOM session is organized as an informal event to say hello to new and old friends & colleagues. There is no need to prepare anything. The only thing that you need to do is click on the ZOOM link and be ready to join the conversation.
- People can drop by any time at their convenience. It is not necessary to RSVP, but it is strongly encouraged to help the organizing team plan better. Current ZOOM capacity is 100 and can be increased if needed. For those with a Facebook account, there is an event page where one can RSVP.
- We will be using the breakout-rooms feature of ZOOM and each event will take place in a separate breakout room.
- During the Meet ‘n Greet, it is not expected that you actively participate. If you wish, you can join, simply for the purpose of listening in.
- If that works better for you, there is an option to call in. The phone numbers are listed on the Facebook event page. Or send email to ourkarlpopper[at]mail[dot]com to get the list.
Preparing for the Meet ‘n Greet:
- Did you check whether you have downloaded the latest version of ZOOM?
Spread the word! Bookmark this page. Come back for the latest details.
Margaretha Hendrickx, Trumansburg, NY, USA